Has McDonald’s Conquered Asia?
► MIGHTY MUG WEBSITE: http://bit.ly/2tjjkzI
*Get the mug that won’t fall over! It’s UN-SPILLABLE!*
► JAPANESE CANDY & SNACK SUBSCRIPTION BOX (TOKYO TREAT WEBSITE):
COUPON CODE: KENTOBENTO7 (9% discount off first premium box)
*FREE shipping worldwide
– Here’s a video of us unboxing a Tokyo Treat box: https://youtu.be/k2-zl5rM9_c
★ Where Are The Asian Borders?: https://youtu.be/vPupwlZlNMY
★ 10 REASONS Why Asians Don’t Get FAT: https://youtu.be/xIqJR6xfMro
★ ‘Asian Eyes’ Are More Common Than You Think: https://youtu.be/WxTnVWgOGLc
★ How Would You Escape North Korea? (The 7 Choices): https://youtu.be/6A0ZOkMDLw0
★ Do You Hold Your Chopsticks like a Dork? (Here’s Why): https://youtu.be/UyU2glWejWM
★ What Kind of ‘Asian Eyes’ Do You Have? (Test Yourself): https://youtu.be/wsNaBwrL9hg
★ The Asian Accent Test | Can You Tell Asian Accents Apart?: https://youtu.be/xiWmdWXYle8
★ Why Asians Are Yellow-Skinned: https://youtu.be/rVcNy7bJyww
★ 10 MOST INFLUENTIAL Asian Superheroes From Marvel & DC: https://youtu.be/sAB8-1Gkn_E
★ 5 WEIRD Chinese Beauty Trends on Social Media: https://youtu.be/a6o905aJt2k
★ 6 PROVOCATIVE Japanese Trends on Social Media: https://youtu.be/OIgseSQnciU
HAS MCDONALD’S CONQUERED ASIA?
If McDonald’s were a country, it’s revenue would make it the 105th largest economy in the world, surpassing the GDP of Estonia, Cambodia & Afghanistan.
The number of McDonald’s employees worldwide would be more than the entire population of Iceland, Barbados and Samoa.
It’s a big company, but it wasn’t always that way.
McDonald’s was founded on May 15th, 1940 in San Bernardino, California – that’s over 77 years ago – and has since expanded to a 120 countries and territories around the world, serving 68 million customers each day.
It took 27 years for the first McDonald’s to appear outside of the US, and 31 years to make it’s way to a second continent.
THIS continent was Asia, and in this video I’m going to take you through the next 46 years of McDonald’s’ Asian ascension.
So, which Asian country was the FIRST to open a McDonald’s? What did McDonalds have to sacrifice in order compete with local markets? And how much of Asia is there still left to conquer, as of today?
We’ll get into all of that, so grab a double cheeseburger (maybe some fries), and we’ll explore every Asian country to have ever had a McDonald’s.
Welcome to McAsia.
Some notable McDonald’s branches in Asian countries are:
– McDonald’s Japan for being the first Asian McDonald’s ever.
– McDonald’s Singapore for having the oldest McDonald’s employee worldwide at 93 years old.
– McDonald’s Malaysia for being the first McDonald’s in a Muslim-majority country.
– McDonald’s Turkey for being the first McDonald’s in West Asia (Middle East).
– McDonald’s South Korea to be the first to sell alcohol (beer).
– McDonald’s Russia for having the largest McDonald’s outlet in Asia in Pushkin Square, Moscow.
– McDonald’s Israel for having the healthiest McDonald’s in the world.
– McDonald’s Saudi Arabia for oddly taking out a full page ad in a Saudi national newspaper swearing loyalty to the new crown prince.
– McDonald’s India for being the first McDonald’s in South Asia, as well as having the first vegetarian McDonald’s in the world.
– McDonald’s Pakistan for having served the Taliban at one point in time.
– McDonald’s Georgia for having the chain’s most exquisite outlet.
– McDonald’s Iraq for only having ONE McDonald’s outlet for the US Army stationed in Baghdad.
– McDonald’s Kazakhstan for being the first McDonald’s in Central Asia.
Available Subtitles so far: ENGLISH, MALAY (click ‘CC’)
★ Help us with subtitles in your language! http://www.youtube.com/timedtext_video?ref=share&v=pgHiRsk2UjY
► [Will be updated soon]
We do videos on interesting ‘Asiany’ topics – Asian stereotypes, Asian pop culture, Asian issues, Asian history, AMWF, and things you just didn’t know about Asia! At the moment there is particular emphasis on Japan, China and Korea, but in the future we would like to focus on other Asian countries as well.
TEAM KENTO BENTO
► Script, Narration & Editing by Kento Bento
► Artwork by Nina Bento
► Interested in working with us? Get in touch now!
via YouTube https://youtu.be/pgHiRsk2UjY